Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1999 Chevy Tahoe: stay running..Drove home after a 90 mile ride.

Customer Question

My 1999 Chevy Tahoe with a 350 will not stay running. Drove home after a 90 mile ride. shut it down for the night. The next day it would kick over but then die. I listened and heard the fuel pump come on then go off before the starter engaged so I think it is getting fuel. What is the most likely problem and how do I fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be able to help you out. We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Customer:

It seems to be a fuel issue. I will need to pick up a node light. Thanks

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Thanks for the accept!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!