TravessE
TravessE, Technician
Experience:  12 years of experience w/ Domestic and Asian vehicles,Emissions certified, A/C certified
25008470

1999 oldsmobile alero: water pump..timing chain..put new

My mechanic says that when he replaced the water pump on my 1999 oldsmobile alero and he did the "slack adjuster" for the timing chain its not working and he needs to replace the "slack adjuster" and also he needs to put new bolts back on - cannot use old bolts to close everything up.... IS THIS TRUE AND CAN THIS REALLY HAPPEN??????
Chat Conversation Started
TravessE :

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer,

TravessE :

When your mechanic says "slack adjuster" , I beleive he is refering to the timing chain tensioner. You do have to remove the timing chain to get the waterpump off this particular vehicle. And yes sometimes the tensioners will have to be replaced when doing this. If the tensioner would happen to go bad and the timing chain became loose it could cause engine damage, so replacing the tensioner is not at all a bad idea either.

TravessE :

As far as replacing the bolts, I can not answer if it true that they need to be replaced because I have ot seen, but in some occasions bolts can deteriorate and become weak. reusing them may cause them to break in the future. So having new bolts installed is not a bad idea either if they are in bad condition. If they are in good shape upon an inspection they can be re-used.

TravessE :

I hope this helps and please don't forget to hit accept if I have helped you. This is the only way we can get compensated for our services.

TravessE :

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your information - It makes a lot of sense... and he did say the bolts were stripped.... Thank you again.