hauto
hauto, Technician
Experience:  15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy

wont start..checked relays, changed fuel filter..dies..injectors

Customer Question

Car wouldn't start, turns over but won't start. checked relays, changed fuel filter, sprayed ether to get it to fire which it did but dies within 3 seconds. pressed system pressure relief valve, there is gas getting to the injectors because it squirts out of the valve when pressed, checked battery and connections, all good. It fires with ether, why will it not stay running if there is fuel in the rail going to the injectors? Driving me crazy!!!!! Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
hauto :

even though you see fuel at the rail, there may not be enough fuel or pressure. try to listen to the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on, if you hear it come on, then you need to check fuel pressure at the rail with a pressure tester, if you have at least 40psi, then you got to check the injectors to see if there firing.

hauto, Technician
Experience: 15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy
Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, if there is not at least 40 psi, the fuel pump is faulty? or could it be the fuel regulator? if that is not the problem, how do you check the injectors to see if they are firing and fix that if thats the problem?
Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.

if the fuel pressure is low then the vehicle won't start, at his point you would check the fuel pump relay, fuse. if all good then the pump itself is bad.

the injectors can be checked by inserting a long screw driver and place it over any injector that is accessible with ease, then listen to the end of the screw driver you should hear the injector click as you start the engine.