SUPRYZE
SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician

how much would the cost be to replace the TR sensor and BCU

how much would the cost be to replace the TR sensor and BCU body control unit on a 2004 non s automatic mini cooper? janice decatur ,al
Category: Car
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
SUPRYZE :

Hello and sorry for the wait. Can I get the last 7 digits of your VIN so I can do some research?

Customer:

the last 7 of the vin TJ59628 Janice

SUPRYZE :

OK thanks! Did somebody diagnose this module for you?

Customer:

not yet the battery was checked low charged service soon light went off came back on twice is now on the service light and a orange round light on odometer the drivers door will not open with key remote new battery in remote locking and unlocking not ok i saw two people ask question sounds just like mine a part about tran and elec on page whenyou click on just answer

SUPRYZE :

Did you have the battery issue fixed? Have you had the vehicle scanned for codes?

SUPRYZE :

I could give you prices for the items you requested, but unless you have a specific fault for the Transmission Range Sensor, you may not not even need to replace it.

SUPRYZE :

As for the remotes, did they stop working before or after the battery issue?

Customer:

the car runs good looks good bought it fri had been in shop to get service light off said it had come back on before sat went about a mile came on noticed doors sat asked about it told me to get battery at eletronic shop i did no change tomarrow will go to shop and talk to repair person must have checked thought battery had been run down i guess it was but not by doors open and radio onprobley

SUPRYZE :

Yeah, I wouldn't spend any money on parts until you at least know what the code is for the engine light.

SUPRYZE :

As far as the remotes, I have seen weak/bad batteries put the Basic Module in "Transport Mode" (which is what is used when the vehicle is shipped over seas) which will disable the remotes.

Customer:

i feel a little better but if a new battery like auto zone was put in would it reset it self is the remote and light two different things what is the orange light on the odometer tomarrow i will go to the repair shop i may have to return it to the dealer

SUPRYZE :

The actual replacement of the battery isn't what usually messes things up, its when you try and crank it with a dead battery, which causes voltage spikes, that does it.

SUPRYZE :

Can you explain the orange light a little better? Any letters or other symbols with it?

Customer:

i have got all the lights off but one i think the round orange light beside the round seat belt light on the odometer is an ABS light that is on i know what abs is the dealer says brakes are good i agree what is the information about the abs light and how do i get it off the people i saw did not have a tool for abs

SUPRYZE :

If its the ABS light, then it will require a tool to read ABS codes, or the factory tool (GT1 or ISTA/D). The only way to get that light off, is to have the fault diagnosed and repaired. The base brake system (brake pads, rotors, etc...) won't make that light come on. Its probably going to be something like a speed sensor, ABS module, etc...

Customer:

thank you so much for your help i think this is the last question is there any one some one other than a place that sells new minis that would have this tool there is a mini dealer and it does repairs but it is about 80 miles away how much to fix speed sensor abs module etc... will light on damage car does one of the tools read only minis or all cars

SUPRYZE :

There are generic ABS code readers out there, it doesn't have to be MINI specific. Also, any tool designed for BMW, will work on MINI (since MINI is made by BMW). So really, you can go to any BMW "specialty" shop if you don't want to go to the dealer. Check out www.bimmershops.com and see if there is an independant BMW shop near you.

Customer:

thank you

SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience: GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician