Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2007 Mazda: the pads on rear brakes..passenger side..rotor

Customer Question

I am in way too deep. I simply wanted to change the pads on rear brakes of my 2007 Mazda 3. On the passenger side, I couldn't get the pads spread enough to fit them on the rotor. The piston wouldn't budge...I'm sure it is jammed. So I tried to bleed the brakes to get the piston to retract. But I forgot I'd take off the pads on the other side, so while pumping the brakes, the piston popped out on the driver's side rear brakes. Now what? Rebuild the calipers? Help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! I would replace the caliper that the piston popped out of, then on the other side,try turning the piston back in. It shouldn't work like the front, but actually screw back in.

Customer:

So I need to replace the entire caliper on the passenger side?

carguy1 :

I would,these aren't an easy rebuild like the fronts. You can try and get a seal kit and screw the piston back on. Here is a picture of the tool used to push the picton back in.

carguy1 :

Sorry,HERE is a link. You can get this at most parts stores.

carguy1 :

HERE

carguy1 :

You just use a 3/8 extension and ratchet

Customer:

What about the jammed piston (the one that DIDN't fall out)? I can't screw it in...it just won't budge.

carguy1 :

If it won't move at all then it needs to be replaced. It is either out to far or there is rust on the piston and it is tight to the caliper housing.

Customer:

The piston needs to be replaced or the whole caliper?

carguy1 :

Normally it would be the whole caliper. I suspect you will have no luck finding a good rebuild kit

carguy1 :

I am sure you could online,but us re builders are kind of a thing of the past :)

Customer:

So it sounds like I screwed everything up enough so that I simply have to buy two new calipers?

carguy1 :

Well, I suspect it will be the easist way to repair it all.

carguy1 :

and if the piston wouldn't screw back in on the one, that is nothing that you did

carguy1 :

it is the nature of the rear setup

Customer:

Man, I thought I'd save some $ by replacing my own pads...

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I just hope I can find calipers from a store today! I need to get the car back on the road. TAke care.

carguy1 :

I understand man! good luck with it and you are very welcome!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.