JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

1993 Lincoln Town car: cool air..fact it blows extremely hot air..sits

Customer Question

My 1993 Lincoln Town car a/c works fine after it has set over night no matter how hot it is down here in the South, but if I drive it, run errand inside store for an hour or two a/c won't blow cool air, in fact it blows extremely hot air. When it is, say below 80 degrees outside, a/c will blow cool air anytime I turn it on no matter how long or short of time it sits and will work well. What's going on?
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Does the compressor run when it fails to cool?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for responding. I will try to answer your question as well as I can, but I think I need to clarify by asking this simple question: would I know the difference between the compressor running or not? I mean, when I press the a/c button on the dash it is different than pressing the vent button. (Hope I don't sound totally stupid) I DO notice that when the a/c doesn't blow cool air but hot air instead it is a different sound and/or load on the engine.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
OK. Can you locate the A/c compressor that has a belt on it?

The very front of it will only spin when the A/c is on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went down to the car but I couldn't find the a/c compressor. Started the engine, turned on the a/c but couldn't locate it,where is it? I could notice a difference in the idle of the engine when I turned on the a/c and the rpm's were up and down while it was running but couldn't locate the compressor.

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Yes, when you engage the A/c, the system should adjust to that idle change and fan response.

Problem here is what is going away when the failure happens.

Is it the compressor shutting down? The controller ? A sensor? A switch?

Those are the possibilities here. And this needs to be addressed when this is happening.

Do you have anyone to test this when it happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, the mechanic I asked to put on a scanner said it was too old of a car to fit the plugs on the scanner. he said that I would have to take it to a Lincoln dealer to find a scanner to fit this year.

* Where is the compressor on this car?

*Also, how will I know if someone does test this that it is, in fact, the controller, the sensor or the switch?

* How would "I" know?

*Do I REALLY need to switch from r-12 to have a pressure test or can it be done without going through all that expense ($200 +)?

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
You do need to retrofit to meet EPA standards. If the system has a low charge, it is 100.00 a pound for R-12. As much as 25.00 a pound for the R-134a replacement.

I would let the shop retrofit the system.

They will have to make it turn on and they will tell you what the problem is before you OK the repairs.

Get back to be with their decision. JHoop

I will keep your question open. You can get back to me anytime answering any e-mail sent to you related to this question or by logging into your JA account. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for keeping this open. I'll get with the shop this week and let you know.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
That would be the most cost effective decision, and would be made in my shop as well.

JHoop