danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

Running hot..me while I was driving on the highway..wont start

I was driving my car..it was running hot, I didn't notice. It shut off on me while I was driving on the highway. Another driver told me it was smoking really bad...and now it won't start.
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
danny :

Hi has this just happened and is it electrical smoke or oil burning smoke or coolant steam?

danny :

Just write anything and reply so I know your there.

Customer:

No this happened about 2 months ago, and I really don't know what type of smoke it was. But i was having problems with my radiator leaking.

Customer:

i'm still here

danny :

What info can you give me to help me determine the source of your issue.

danny :

Good

Customer:

All I KNOW IS THAT WE'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE RADIATOR LEAKING...MY HUSBAND CHECKED ALL THE FUSES WE DON'T SEE ANYTHING. THE DRIVER BEHIND ME JUST TOLD ME IT WAS A LOT OF THICK SMOKE AND HE STOPPED BECAUSE HE THOUGHT IT SMELLED LIKE LIKE I WAS ABOUT TO CATCH A FIRE.

Customer:

And while i was driving on the highway i had problems accelerating...like the car didn't want to go. Now my husband says he sees oil around the spark plug wires in the head and it's up over the plugs.

danny :

A coolant leak wouldnt smell like that or cuase it not to start. I am thinking you have a bad ground from battery to ground or coil to hot wire or battery to starter. loose wires arc and can cause fires you are very lucky. This shouldnt be to expensive. .but will be a bit. The affect componants will be able to be seen visually as bad as you descibe it. If you are happy with my answer please accept my answer so I will get paid. If you are unsure please ask any questions you need.

Customer:

What about the oil down in the spark plugs jacket?

Customer:

he's checking now...but he's says oil is deep around the spark plugs covering them...he says the car is full of oil

danny :

You need to see about the wiring I talked about. make sure battery is charged up good or try to jump with cables. try to turn the crank shaft pulley with large socket wrench. we need to see if your electrical or mechanical.

Customer:

oil was covering the spark plug jacket, is that normal for this car and it will turn over it just won't start.

danny :

ok thanks then its mechanical kinda. I believe you have sprung a leak an oil leak it could be from a oil sending unit. or a head gasket. if oil is only in the spark plug holes and not all over the engine then you have blown a head gasket. this is a expensive fix.

danny :

this means you have blown the upper part of your engine.

danny :

this will cuase a no start

danny :

cause

Customer:

ok thanks...that confirms what my husband thought the problem was. I will pay u now.

danny, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.