bamaman39
bamaman39, Technician
Experience:  10 years ford technician,20 years working on cars
17239397

2001 ford f150: I smell coolant through the air vents..defrost..fog

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford f150. I smell coolant through the air vents. last night the defrost seemed to fog the windows from the inside. What is causing this?
Submitted: 4 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
bamaman39 :

Are you seeing any coolant loss on the ground or on the motor? Is the passenger side floor board wet?

Customer:

I saw a some coolant on the ground - not a ton, but it was unusual. passenger side floorboard is not wet.

bamaman39 :

look on the motor and see if there is any coolant. See what the level is in the bottle

bamaman39 :

The reason im asking you to look at the motor is because a busted hose or leaking intake will put coolant on the motor and cause a smell in the cab

Customer:

I'm checking

Customer:

I don't see any coolant on the engine, but it looks like the hose that goes from the engine (next to the alternator) has some signs that it might be leaking. Would this be enough to send fumes and a "fog" through the defroster?

bamaman39 :

If a hose or anything that is leaking can get into the breather box. This lets fresh air in and allows the a/c or heater to work. Example like when you drive by a pastor with cows you will smell them through the a/c same thing here. Coolant will fog your window as well. I would carry it to a parts store or mechanic to get a coolant pressure test done. This will let you know were the coolant is leaking. Then if you do have a bad or small leaking heater core this will put water in your floorboard. Just look under the passenger side dash to make sure nothings wet because the heater core will fog a window

Customer:

The hose that appears to leak goes from the front of the engine block to what I believe is the heater core. Is there anything special I need to know/do to replace this?

Customer:

Thanks-I'll check this out and get back to you.

Customer:

The end of the hose (at the firewall) has a special connector, and I don't have the required tool to get it off. I was planning to splice the hose as the leak is near the end that attaches to the engine block and the rest of the hose looks pretty good. apparently there was a flow restrictor built into the existing hose (this got damaged when I was taking it off). Do I need a flow restrictor? I really don't want to blow out my heater core.

Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
The connector has plastic tabs on the side. Press both in while pushing the hose. Then pull the hose off. Becareful as there are orings inside the hose and may fall out or stay on the heater core. As far as the restricter i would use it. I dont think it will make the motor that much hotter but since you there replace it
bamaman39, Technician
Experience: 10 years ford technician,20 years working on cars
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay here. It's the first time I have used this program. I just accepted your answer.

1 last question: There seems to be a reduced amount of "fog" coming through the vents, especially the defroster. Definitely not as bad as before. Is it normal for it to take a while for the "fog" to cycle through?

Thanks again for your help.

Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
There are two things here. One the a/c when cold will blow very cold air which will produce a little fog. Second there might be coolant still left over and its buring it off. I would either was the motor while running or give it a couple of days to see if it clears up