JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

1998 Mazda 626: drives..room in the trunk..amp..car wont start

Customer Question

My brother drives a 1998 Mazda 626 with subwoofers. Yesterday we were moving his amplifier and subs to make room in the trunk and the power cable to the amp shorted. Now the car won't start. Nothing will turn on, not even the power locks. We charged the battery and I checked it with a multimeter. It runs when jumped, but dies when the lights or fan or radio are turned on at the same time, like they are drawing too much power.
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Where does the power to the amp hook up to 12v?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a power line from the battery to a fuse and then it runs directly to the amp.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Is that a factory fuse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it's a separate line with an aftermarket 100A fuse. I checked the fuses under the hood and the aftermarket fuse and none of them were blown which is why I'm confused.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
When the engine is running what is the voltage at the battery?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now I can't jump it. Everything turns on when I connect the cables but when I turn the key it only clicks
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
First you need to charge the battery.

Let me know when you can get it started.

I will keep your question open. You can get back to me anytime answering any e-mail sent to you related to this question or by logging into your JA account. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But see that's the problem. I left the battery charger on last night and this morning the battery showed 13V but still nothing turns on. I just tried jumping it so I could measure the running voltage but that's when it clicked and wouldn't start
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Will that battery start another car?

Do you have another known good battery to try?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have an extra battery but I did get it jumped with he car charger. The battery showed 14.5V right away but after it ran for a bit it showed 14V. I took it for a short drive and shut it off and it restarted but I still don't think the problem is solved.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
I recommend to fully charge the battery.

If it is putting out 14v the alternator is fine.