hauto, Technician
Experience:  15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy

99 mazda 626: put started leaking oil

Customer Question

I just bought a 99 mazda 626 from someone. his claim is he removed the engine and when he put another on he forgot to put the cam shaft seal on it. He realized this when he drove it and it started leaking oil. It had been sitting for a yr and a half. So, I got a mechanic to remove the engine and put a new cam shaft seal on it, also I had to get a set of keys made(programmed). Well this mechanic has been unable to get it started. The guy is adament that it worked fine but just leaked oil and he didnt have the time to redo it, he in the meantime bought a new car. Is it possible that the 99 mazda 626 has electronics involved that maybe a mechanic that doesnt have this knowledge may miss. BTW-the mechanic is a cousin of a friends and has worked on race cars for a number of years. I'm not sure if I should take it to a reputable mechanic with access to electronic equipment or if I need to just count it as a loss. I bought it for my Son and paid $800 for it and $134 to get 2 keys made and programmed
Category: Car
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.
does the mechanic know what is missing, spark, or fuel or both. the car don't start because of lack of fuel, spark or both. once you find that out then you can diagnose the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not really sure. I will ask him. Are you saying it's possible it could not have gas or the car needs new spark plugs?

Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.
what I am saying is he needs to check fuel pressure and spark to the plugs. to make sure that the fuel pump and the ignition system are working.