Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Hi. My mom drove her car..misfiring..spark plug..started sputtering

Hi. My mom drove her car from Toronto to Montreal and noticed that it was misfiring. She pulled the car into a mechanic just as he was closing up shop yesterday and he said it was most likely a spark plug issue but he didn't have time to fix it so she continued driving to Montreal. She said it got worse and started sputtering as she got to Montreal. Is she safe to drive back to Toronto from Montreal today so she can take her car to the dealer or should she find a place in Montreal to get it fixed as soon as possible? Could she cause any more damage by driving it home? Is it safe to drive back home? Thanks!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! This should be checked as soon as possible.Especially if the condition is getting worse. I do not recommend driving the car. If it is a misfire, then raw fuel is entering the catalytic converters and can cause damage to these resulting in a higher bill. The car could also stop running all together and leaver her stranded. At the very least it should be checked over by a qualified tech in the area.

Customer:

Thanks! Can she get it fixed fairly easily at a Canadian Tire? If she did drive it home, would it be a safety risk on the 401? Could the engine fail and cause an accident?

carguy1 :

She should be able to get it repaired at a facility like Canadian tire. As far as the safety risk, it is possible it could just shut down on her and that may cause an accident.

Customer:

Do you know how long it would take to fix? She's on a deadline and needs to be back in Toronto today. thanks!

carguy1 :

Well, if it is plugs or a coil it should be a fairly quick repair. Couple of hours tops

Customer:

OK, thanks for your help. She's going to try and find somewhere to get it look at - hopefully she can find something open on a long weekend!

carguy1 :

I hope so to! You are very welcome!