chad
chad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars

2002 sable: blend door..without taking out the whole dash

how can i replace the blend door on a 2002 sable without taking out the whole dash?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Car
Expert:  chad replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
chad :

you need to replace the internall door or just the motor?

Customer:

The ford dealership said the door was broken

chad :

if that is the case the dash needs to be somewhat removed to gain access to the heater case which then needs to be removed to replace door.this means a/c and heater core lines needs to be removed out in engine compartment as well as nuts and bolts about 4-7 hr job no fun.What symtoms are you having?auto or manual temp control?

Customer:

auto control-it only blows heat. we purchased repair kit from advance auto and the pictures on the instructions are terrible. They want the plenum removed and then cut a hole in plenum and remove the door.

chad :

never recomend cutting the heater case once removed lots of screws but comes apart con you hear the door triing to move when commanded?

Customer:

not sure...like i said we took it to the dealer and they looked it over and told us the door was broken. i am assuming that they checked the motor. wanted $1250 to repair.

chad :

give me a minute im trying to find the reset procedure for the controll head cant for the life of me remember it and its hard to find you have to hold a/c and defrost and then push something else or something ill be backXXXXXto much thats like 10hrs at 100.00 an hour find a reputable independent for less than half the cost. should be at worse 8hr job.

chad :

press off and floor buttons together and then press auto in 2 seconds should put through self test and try to move door listen for cruching noise

Customer:

ok back in a minute

Customer:

i heard a click and 051 started blinking on the screen

Customer:

i think the door is trying to move

chad :

o51 is for the solar sensor in dash indicating a fault if shorted may cause the module to shut down and not even try to move the blend door.

Customer:

now what?

chad :

but if you can hear the door trying to move and is broken you can hear a snapping crunching type noise typically

Customer:

no we hardly heard anything. a small thump and the motor running

chad :

hard to say without being there but you could return to dealer and have them look into 051 dtc before commiting to dash removal and have them physically prove to you thar the door is broken with scan tool sorry i only say this because its fairly rare on taurus sable but does happen.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is ready to call it quits and find a repair person. we are fairly handy but the dash intimidates us!

chad :

dont blame ya there lots of littlte nuts and bolts and if your a/c system is charged it will need to recovered and recharged please hit accept if satisfied and feel free for more input good luck.

Customer:

thanks alot

chad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars