GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Aztek: I disconnect the drive shaft..front wheel drive..transfer case

I am 12 hours from home and having trouble in my Aztec sounds like the rearend is going out. Can I disconnect the drive shaft and it will become a front wheel drive to try and make it home safely would rather have it repaired close to home without harming the transfer case?
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

Customer:

Can you give me any help?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisified. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This system cannot be driven without the drive shaft.

GM Tech (Cam) :

but you can try taking the connector off the rear drive module (rear diff) and see if that makes the noise stop.

Customer:

what does the connector look like?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is a 3 wire connector on the drivers side front area.

Customer:

On the front area of the rear axle?

Customer:

Or on the front area of the transimission?

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes rear axle not transmission.

Customer:

Ok what does it mean if I do disconnect this wire and the sound DOES go away?

GM Tech (Cam) :

That will mean that it may not be as bad as you fear. Does the noise happen all the time or only when turning?

Customer:

The noise happens all the time when driving straight.

Customer:

Is this a common problem with the aztec?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The noise when turning is common but when driving straigh is not as common.

GM Tech (Cam) :

How bad is the noise?

Customer:

with the windows up you really cant hear it but with the windows down it's a real loud grinding hum.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, does turning change it at all?

Customer:

the noise isnt as bad when i turn left but is worse when turning right

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok that sounds more like a bad wheel bearing than a diff issue.

Customer:

I disconnected the 3 wire connector the noise disappeared for a minute but is still grinding.....it is not as loud as it was.

GM Tech (Cam) :

if the noise is only in the rear diff, then my suggestion is to drive. The rear diff is a replacement only so if the noise is in there, they will replace it anywya.

Customer:

drive with the connector disconnected?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, if that makes it better.

Customer:

Okay......THANKS...appreciate the help!!

GM Tech (Cam) :

MY pleasure. drive safe.

GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.