Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

What is 70horsepower in cv please

Customer Question

what is 70horsepower in cv please
Category: Car
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. Can you clarify what you want here, specifically cv? What does cv stand for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in france engines for boats are rated in cv, we are selling ours with an outboard engine of 70 hp i need to work out the cv rating for the engine for the purchaser as boats in france need to be registered with cv
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Your CV rating should be 69

1 HP = 745 watts
1 CV = 735 watts

(1 HP)735watts / (1 CV)745watts = .986watts
70(HP) * 0.986watts = 69.02 CV
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.
I have a differing answer, Cheval Vapeur is known as metric horsepower in the US, the previous expert made a mistake on the math somewhere. Go to this link HERE for reference. Scroll down to power conversion. Put 70 in the first field choose Horsepower, and choose metric Horsepower for the second field and hit enter. 70 horsepower equals 70.97085516 Cheval Vapeur, you should probably round it to 71 Cheval Vapeur. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the assistance Dr. Hamman.

I made a typo, should have been 745/735 instead of the reverse, so as was said, 71 CV.

1 HP = 745 watts
1 CV = 735 watts

(1 CV)745watts / (1 HP)735watts = 1.014watts
70(HP) * 1.014watts = 70.95 CV