Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Mitsubishi: v6..the timing belt and all seals etc , it..wont start

hi there, ive just had my 01, 3ltr v6 mitsubishi challengers major 100k service, replaced the timing belt and all seals etc , it ran ok on the journey home approx 20K, went out the day after to take it for a run and now it wont start? the engine turns over, after a few seconds it makes a weird noise, the battery is fully charged and the tank is full of fuel, could the timing be out??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
350Matt :

Hello

Its quite possible that the tension on the timing belt wasn't set correctly when it was replaced, this can cause the timing to shift and this would effect the starting.

Ask the garage who did the work if they used the Mitsubishi special tools to set the belt tension or did they just line up the marks. You can check if the belt is OK yourself by following these instructions

Full Size Image
:

Customer:

what are the special tools? that should have been used. the car was running great before this service was done, started first time every time, regards paul

350Matt :

Hello Paul

If you read the installation instructions on the image there's a couple of tools used to hold the tensioner in the right spot whilst the pushrod gap is being set - now it possible to do the job without these but the important question is what distance is the push-rod at now.

350Matt :

this probably entails removing the front cover so you can get to the belt workings

350Matt :

Its also worth checking that the crank position sensor, cam position sensor and airflow meter are all connected properly

Matt, Engineer
Experience: Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.