Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Dodge Ram 1500 Van: with 5.2L clutch fan. 1)

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Van with 5.2L engine. I need a new clutch fan. 1) How hard is it to replace, and what are the steps? 2) How much time will it take? 3) Any 'tricks of the trade' I need to know? 4) I've priced them on line, and found a Haydan clutch fan with deep fins and a severe rating (superior to H-D). OK to use? If not, what do you recommend?
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it does sound like the fan clutch could be at fault. Of course, make sure the radiator is full of coolant before replacing anything. Here is the procedure for replacing the fan clutch.

Service and Repair

Clean fan blades using soap and water only. Use extreme caution when cleaning fan blades on an electric cooling fan, DO NOT allow the cleaning mixture to enter the electric motor of the cooling fan.

CAUTION: If fan blade assembly is replaced because of mechanical damage, water pump and viscous fan drive should also be inspected. These components could have been damaged due to excessive vibration.

1. Remove fan blade assembly from viscous fan drive unit (four bolts) (Mechanical fan only).
  2. Lay fan on a flat surface with leading edge facing down. With tip of blade touching flat surface, replace fan if clearance between opposite blade and surface is greater than 2.0 mm (0.090 inch) . Rocking motion of opposite blades should not exceed 2.0 mm (0.090 inch) . Test all blades in this manner.
  3. Inspect fan assembly for cracks, bends, loose rivets or broken welds. The fan cannot be repaired, replace fan if any damage is found.