Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2002 Ford Focus: is idling really low..rpms..stall..check engine light

My 2002 Ford Focus (120k miles) is idling really low at about 500 rpms. The engine shutters but does not stall. The check engine light is on. The car drives fine at 20mph or faster.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Have you had the diagnostic codes checked?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I have not
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I would start by doing that since this could be so many possible problems. Without the codes I would say check for a stuck pcv valve, leaking pcv vacuum hose, and clean throttle body. When you get the codes checked they might be able to tell you the problem if not you can reply to this answer at anytime, you can have codes checked for free at the parts store.. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I'll check the things you mentioned. Do I accept answer now or wait till I get the codes?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
You can accept now or later......Either way is fine with me and you can respond at anytime. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Again,
Sorry I haven't accepted yet - I was waiting to get the codes on my car. The code pulled up was P0171 - fuel trim bank one condition. Probable cause: MAF sensor, Oxygen Sensor, Ignition misfire or fuel injector problem. How much do you suppose this will cost to fix?