pETER, Technician

2004 Lincoln Aviator: Automatic Transmission..third gear..too high rpm

I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with a check Automatic Transmission light which came on. When starting the car again it did not come on again. Had a mechanic check with computer to find that there is a problem with the third gear; too high rpm's. He said the transmission needed to be rebuilt.

Is there a solenoid which may be bad. As I understand there is a solenoid for each gear?

internal slippage of clutches is cause of that, solenoids control fluid flow for different clutch packs and brakes inside transmission. your transmission its going. its common for ford vehicle family to set incorrect gear ratio codes when its start to slip.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you recommend a rebuilt or new transmition?
its up to you, in my shop we use ford rebuild transmission and jasper engine rebuild transmission, its more than 2300$ try go to transmission shop and ask for price of rebuild, parts are cheep, labor cost a loot
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

glad i could help