Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Technician
Experience:  Auto Mechanic

1998 isuzu hombre: I replaced my fuel pump..quit working..crank

Customer Question

I replaced my fuel pump on my 1998 isuzu hombre and within a month the new pump quit working. I replaced the pump again and the engine will crank but not start. The fuel pump is not priming or even working. What could be causing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Nelson Garcia replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Nelson Garcia :

Check for power at the fuel pump.

Nelson Garcia :

is there any?

Nelson Garcia :

Also you say the fuel pump relay is good and the fuse. How do you know this? have you checked it or replaced it already?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Hello, I thought you were online before so I was going to talk to you however the result of my diagnosis based on the information you have provided would be the crank position sensor being faulty. THis sensor is what provides the signal to allow the fuel pump to come on and if it doesn't work properly it will crank and not start. If you can connect a scanner watch the rpms of the engine and if the readings do not go to around 500 to 600 rpms then the sensor is not reading and must be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I replaced the fuel pump relay, I checked all the secondary fuses associated with the fuel pump all are okay. The crank position sensor is only about 3 months old. New alternator, new battery , ingnition switch is less than a year old. I checked voltages at the new fuel pump I get no voltage for the pump but do get 5 volts for the sending unit. I am thinking the that the ignition switch might be bad again?
Can you get to the circuit for the ignition switch to test the output voltage. Also did you check the power at the relay for the fuel pump? I'm assuming you did and you were getting power there? If you weren't then keep back tracking toward the ignition switch.