Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2000 KIA Sephia: just cranks..IAC valve..ignition coils..wont start

2000 KIA Sephia shut down like running out of gas.Will crank over but will not start just cranks no combustion. lots of gas and spark, replaced the IAC valve and ignition coils. Still wont start. rented a diagnostic scanner no codes shown. I/M Monitor status shows Catalyst Mon, Oxygen Sens Mon and Oxygen Sens Htr as INC. What should I check next?
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! What is the fuel pressure? Do you know?

Customer:

I dont have a gauge, but I get a good amount of fuel come out the bleed valve on the fuel rail.

carguy1 :

Ok, I think I would go with a compression test next on it. All the spark and fuel won't work if the timing is off. If the belt jumped, you should see low compression and this would likely spit and sputter before it turned off. I would also get a noid light and check for injector pulse. You may have fuel to the rail, but if the injectors aren't pulsing, then none of the fuel is getting into the cylinders. This is where I would go next with this one.

Customer:

I put new plugs in it, cranked on it checked the plugs and they were wet.

carguy1 :

ok, so it sounds like there is pulse there. How can you be sure there is spark? How did you check that?

Customer:

Grounded the spark plug had a assistant crank the motor over have a visual spark .

carguy1 :

Ok, I would have to check the compression or pull the timing cover at this point and make sure everything is lined up

Customer:

Bought a compression kit the other day. I did check to make sure the belt was still on, but not the allignment. Tomorrows another day. if compression and timing is OK what then?

carguy1 :

Then I would check the fuel pressure. If it is low it won't spray like it should

Customer:

What about the status that the I/M monitor of INC on the catalyst mon,oxy mon and oxy sens htr? What is that tellin us?

carguy1 :

That means the car hasn't driven the right cycles for the monitors to run the self test. This will happen even if you just disconnected the battery. It isn't really telling us anything about the car. See, you can still have injector pulse and spark with the timing off. It just won't start. If the belt were broken, you would have a cam sensor code.

Customer:

Ok, If the PCM is bad there would be no spark and fuel?

carguy1 :

Normally there would be no spark or fuel. It wouldn't be telling these things to happen. It is possible that it is telling them to happen at the wrong interval,but really not likely.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.