jan73
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience
1689875

Overheating..throttle body gasket and coolant pipes or unit

Have 2001 range rover 4.6HSE with engine overheating. Note clear fluid leaking into right front passenger compartment area and sounds as if fluid not circulating properly. Had throttle body gasket and coolant pipes or unit changed one year ago. What do you think is major issue
Category: Car
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
The clear fluid does not have anything to do with the overheating issue. The clear fluid is coming from the A/C box due to a clogged drain. You have to lift the car up and clean the drain on the pass. side firewall (little rubber tube pointing down).
As far as the overheating issue: Do you have to add coolant into the system? Did you check thermostat? Does it overheat on idle or while driving or both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont have to add coolant. I dont know how to check the thermostat. Overheats on idle and while driving. Not driving vehicle at this time.
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
Ok. When you run the truck on idle, after the engine reaches operating temp. (the gauge needle is in the middle), both lower and upper radiator hoses should be hot. The thermostat on that engine is built into the lower radiator hose, it's a 'Y' shaped plastic. If the thermostat is not functioning, some of the hoses stay cold due to no circulation, that is why the engine would overheat. Can you check this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
checked as directed. on lower side, radiator hose goes to whitish looking plastic housing which has 3 hoses from its top (had to lay on floor and look at engine from below). Top radiator hoses ( with hood/bonnet opened) were very hot when engine temp achieved operating range. Bottom hoses were cool compared to top hoses. I will say top hoses were 7-9 times hotter than the bottom ones. Engine oil and filter had been changed about week before problem began.
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, cool. The whitish looking plastic is the thermostat. One hoe connecting to the thermostat should be really hot. If the others are cold, the thermostat is stuck closed, replace it.
When the thermostat is OK and engine is at normal op. temp., the temp. difference should be maybe 50-70F.
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience