Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
15182921

2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring: changing..fuel pump..4dr..2.7 liter

when changing the fuel pump on my 2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring,4dr, 2.7 liter, are there any precautions I need to know about. I've been told not to change it myself because of a sensore. But other people say to just make sure I'm careful with the plug. What is the truth?
Submitted: 4 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Car
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
The biggest problem you will encounter with this job is draining the fuel tank before removal. Here is Chrysler's procedure for draining the tank. This can also be done in other ways, such as siphoning the fuel from the fuel tank:

Draining Fuel Tank

Two different procedures may be used to drain fuel tank (lowering tank or using DRBIII(R) scan tool).

The quickest draining procedure involves lowering the fuel tank.

WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. SERVICE VEHICLES IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS AND AVOID IGNITION SOURCES. NEVER SMOKE WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

As an alternative procedure, the electric fuel pump may be activated allowing tank to be drained at fuel rail connection. Refer to DRBIII(R) scan tool for fuel pump activation procedures. Before disconnecting fuel line at fuel rail, release fuel pressure. Refer to the Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure. Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail and remove the plastic retainer from the fuel rail. Take plastic retainer and install it back into the fuel line from body. Check the O-ring and make sure that it is in place and not damaged. Attach end of special test hose tool number 6539 at fuel line connection from the body line. Position opposite end of this hose tool to an approved gasoline draining station. Activate fuel pump and drain tank until empty. When done remove the special test hose tool number 6539 from the body line. Remove the plastic retainer from the special test hose tool number 6539 and reinstall it into the fuel line from the body. Check the O-ring and make sure that it is in place and not damaged. Install the fuel line to the fuel rail.

If electric fuel pump is not operating, tank must be lowered for fuel draining. Refer to following procedures.

1. Remove fuel filler cap.
  2. Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release procedure.
  3. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  4. Raise vehicle and support.
  5. Certain models are equipped with a separate grounding wire (strap) connecting the fuel fill tube assembly to the body. Disconnect wire by removing screw.
  6. Open fuel fill door and remove screws mounting fuel filler tube assembly to body. Do not disconnect rubber fuel fill or vent hoses from tank at this time.
  7. Place a transmission jack under center of fuel tank. Apply a slight amount of pressure to fuel tank with transmission jack.
  8. Remove fuel tank mounting straps.
  9. Lower the tank just enough so that the filler tube fitting is the highest point of the fuel tank.
  10. Remove filler tube from fuel tank. Tank will be drained through this fitting. NOTE: Wrap shop towels around hoses to catch any gasoline spillage.
  11. Drain fuel tank into holding tank or a properly labeled Gasoline safety container. WARNING: GASOLINE OR GASOLINE VAPORS ARE HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. A FIRE COULD OCCUR IF AN IGNITION SOURCE IS PRESENT. NEVER DRAIN OR STORE GASOLINE OR DIESEL FUEL IN AN OPEN CONTAINER, DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF FIRE OR EXPLOSION. THIS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
  12. If fuel pump module removal is necessary, refer to Fuel Pump Module Removal/Installation.

Here's the fuel tank removal procedure:

Removal and Installation

REMOVAL

1. Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure.
  2. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  3. Drain fuel tank dry into holding tank or a properly labeled GASOLINE safety container.
  4. Raise vehicle on hoist and support.
  5. Use a transmission jack to support fuel tank. Remove bolts from fuel tank straps.
  6. Lower tank slightly.
  7. Disconnect the fuel filler vent tube.
  8. Disconnect fuel line and vapor line.
  9. Disconnect the vacuum line from the LDP.
  10. Disconnect fuel filler tube by loosing the clamp and removing hose.
  11. Slide fuel pump module electrical connector lock to unlock. The fuel pump module electrical connector has a retainer that locks it in place.
  12. Push down on connector retainer and pull connector off module.
  13. Lower tank from vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position fuel tank on transmission jack.
  2. Raise tank into position and carefully work filler tube onto the fuel tank. A light coating of clean engine oil on the tube end may be used to aid assembly. Connect fuel filler tube hose and tighten clamp.
  3. Connect fuel pump/module electrical connector. Place retainer in locked position.
  4. Connect the EVAP, vapor, and vacuum lines.
  5. Lubricate the fuel supply line with clean 30 weight engine oil, install the quick connect fuel fitting. Refer to Tube/Fitting Assembly in the Fuel Delivery section of this section.
  6. Attach filler vent line to filler tube. Pull on connector to make sure of connection.
  7. Place NVLD air filter under right rear tank strap before tightening.
  8. Tighten strap bolts to 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Remove transmission jack.
  9. Tighten filler hose clamp to 3.6 Nm (31.8 in. lbs.) . CAUTION: Ensure straps are not twisted or bent before or after tightening strap nuts.
  10. Fill fuel tank, replace cap, and connect battery negative cable.
  11. Use the DRBIII(R) scan tool to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks.

And here's how to replace the fuel pump:

FUEL PUMP MODULE

REMOVAL

1. Release fuel pressure, Refer to Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure in the Fuel Delivery section.
  2. Remove Fuel Tank refer to the Fuel Tank Removal/Installation. WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR WILL SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED.
  3. Disconnect fuel line from fuel pump module by depressing quick connect retainers with thumb and fore finger.
  4. Slide fuel pump module electrical connector lock to unlock.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connection from the fuel pump module, by pushing down on connector retainer and pulling connector off of module.
  6. Mark fuel pump location.
graphic

1. Use a brass punch and hammer to remove fuel pump module lock ring.
  2. Remove fuel pump and O-ring seal from tank. Discard old seal.

INSTALLATION

1. Wipe seal area of tank clean and place a new seal in position in the tank opening.
  2. Position fuel pump in the tank.
  3. Position the lockring over the fuel pump module.
  4. Tighten the lockring using a brass punch and hammer.
  5. Connect the electrical connector.
  6. Connect the fuel line to the fuel pump.
  7. Install the fuel tank, refer to fuel tank installation.
  8. Lower vehicle.
  9. Connect the battery cable.
  10. Fill fuel tank. Use the DRB III(R) scan tool to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks.
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Technician