Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

1999 olds silhouette: 3.4l codes p0101,p0131,p300,p0742..intermittent

Customer Question

1999 olds silhouette 3.4l codes p0101,p0131,p0300,p0742,p1811 intermittent problem....runs fine the rest of the time.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
The P0101, p0131, and p0300 are all likely related to a dirty or failed mass airflow sensor. It should be checked for good connection and cleaned first, if the code resets normally it will need a new one. Once that is fixed the other codes will likely be fixed. The P0742 and P1811 are both transmission codes related to a sticking pressure control solenoid or pressure control valve in the valve body. Usually the first step is to flush the trans fluid and see if it helps. If the codes and harsh shift continue to occur (usually when hot) then the valve body has to come out and the solenoid replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The first thing that happened was that it started to lose power when I tried to pass someone.....the check engine light came on and then started flashing then stayed on.....It was only 1 time that the tranny shifted really hard and it was while the check engine light was on and we turned the key off then right back on and it never did it again. Right now the check engine light is off and all is running fine. I was thinking it was something electrical since the tranny only did that one day and stopped as soon as we shut it off and turned it back on............When the check engine light goes off all is normal. The van only has 100600 miles on it
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
I would suspect the Mass Airflow for the performance issues. The trans problem is well documented and keying off will usually fix it because all the solenoids reset when you do. If you haven't serviced the trans yet it could help. Or wait it out till it gets worse. If the MAF only acted up once it could be a glitch but if the 0101 code comes back that is where I'd look.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you......It was the tranny problem that only happened once.....the loss of power has happened a few times..........the first time we had it scanned, the only code that came up was p0300 random misfire...........all these other codes came within the next week..........could the MAF cause all of those codes and have caused the origional p0300 code?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, because it will lean out the engine causing the oxygen sensor code and making it run rough, causing the misfire code.