Psychic Mechanic
Psychic Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master L1 20 years experience
30412839

2001 nissan maxima check engine light on with code P0430 replaced

Customer Question

2001 nissan maxima check engine light on with code P0430 replaced left bank catalytic converter and BOTH SENSORS WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Monitor those oxygen sensor readings this can also be caused by a Lien condition such as restricted fuel injectors, Monitor the front and rear oxygen sensors. After the catalytic converter lights up the rear oxygen sensor should stay pretty steady at about 0.6 volts. I've also seen this cured by reprogramming the PCM with the latest software upgrade

Edited by SEAN on 7/19/2010 at 1:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just had that done still will not pass the state inspection in ga same code P0430
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what else could be my problem the solution above does not help
We need to look for a vacuum leak so using starting fluid spray the intake manifold gasket and see if there's any change in RPM indicating a leak. Also checked the fuel pressure, then if the fuel pressure looks good tell me what your injector pulse width is and what your oxygen sensor readings are on that bank compare to the other side
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will take a while at optomtrist now
ok let me know what you find ?
Expert:  Psychic Mechanic replied 6 years ago.
Hello Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Are you sure you replaced the correct cat. P0430 is bank2 witch is toward the front of the car.

Is this the cat you replaced?

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FROM THE BEGINING I REPLACED BANK 2 CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND BOTH SENSORS IS WHY I ASKED YOU NOW I HAVE TRIED ALL THE THINGS YOU ASKED ME TO AND WILL TAKE AUTOMOBILE INTO CLEAN AIR SHOP TODAY FOR ANALYSIS COSTING ME 100.00
I just needed to confirm the correct cat was replaced. It is a very common mistake. I have seen no other cause of a p0430. If you say the cat was replaced recheck for exhaust leakage before the o2 sensors. If no leak is found you have a defective cat. Install a new one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did install a new one but the state emission center says i needed an evorative canister/ purchased it an now light is gone drove 110 miles light went out around 65 miles
So your code was not p0430, It was p0440 or p0443. EVAP small leak.

There are many reasons why the light can come on and many different codes that will come up. I'm glad you got your issue resolved.

Thank you for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
none of you answers worked i need my money back
No problem. I will put you in for a refund.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no my code was p0430
An EVAP canister failure can not cause a p0430 sorry most likely this code will come back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we will see but i passed the state emission test by replacing the evap with a p0430 code