Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2001 Isuzu Rodeo: it to change a fuel sensor and what..changing

How hard is it to change a fuel sensor and what is the procedure for changing it on a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

please explain fuel sensor

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the check engine light comes on and my fuel guage does not operate properly, after fill up the fuel guage will show full and then after ideling and driving the needle will go to empty after awhile.

ok

you need to replace the fuel gage sender..this is part of the fuel pump assembly..you will need to remove the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump/sender assembly

thanks

Isuzu_Rodeo_Rodeo_Sport_1997-2004

Fuel Pump

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

1997-03 Models

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Relieve fuel system pressure.
  3. Drain the fuel tank.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Fuel filler and vent hoses Fuel tank skid plate Fuel tank wiring connectors Fuel supply and return lines Fuel tank Fuel pump assembly

FIG : Fuel pump assembly mounting

image

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Fuel pump assembly Fuel tank. Tighten the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm). Fuel supply and return lines Fuel tank wiring connectors Fuel tank skid plate Fuel filler and vent hoses Negative battery cable
  2. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what precautions do I need to take before attempting to replaced the sending unit?.

hi

be careful and use common sense,don't smoke,do not be around any type of open flame,be careful using electric lighting,,if you have never done this you may want to have a mechanic do this,,,

thanks

Fuel Tank Draining Procedure

Caution :

• Never drain or store fuel in an open container due to the possibility of fire or explosion.
  • When draining the fuel tank, slowly insert and Do Not force the hand operated pump device in the fuel tank. Forcing the pump device can cause the fuel pump to dislocate from the fuel sender assembly.
  1. Remove the fuel filler cap.
  2. Use a hand operated pump device to drain as much fuel through the fuel filler pipe as possible.
  3. Install the fuel filler cap.
Fuel Tank Assembly

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain fuel tank. Refer to Draining Fuel Tank .
  3. Raise vehicle and suitably support.
  4. Remove the fuel tank shield (1).
  5. With aid of an assistant, support fuel tank and disconnect the two fuel tank retaining straps (2).
  6. Remove the fuel tank pressure sensor connector.
  7. Remove the fuel sender electrical connector.
  8. Remove the hoses from fuel tank sender.
  9. Remove the hoses at tank from filler, vent and vapor pipes.
  10. Remove the tank (2) from vehicle.
  11. Remove the sound insulators (1).
  12. Remove the fuel sender assembly from tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly .

Installation Procedure

Important: Inspect all connectors for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace components/assemblies as required. Fuel line O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling or distortion. Replace if necessary.

1. Install the fuel sender assembly to tank. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly .
  2. Install the sound insulators (1).
  3. With aid of an assistant, install the fuel tank (2) to body.

Caution: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends .

This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.

During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

1. Install the hoses to filler, vent and vapor pipes.
  2. Install the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
  3. Install the fuel tank sender electrical connector.
  4. Install the fuel tank retaining straps (2). Tighten
    • Tighten the bolts to 45 Nm (33 lb. ft) .
  1. Install the fuel tank shield (1).
  2. Lower vehicle.
  3. Refill tank.
  4. Install the negative battery cable.
  5. Inspect for fuel leaks through the following steps:
12.1.Turn the ignition to the ON position for 2 seconds.
12.2.Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
12.3.Turn the ignition to the ON position
12.4.Check for fuel leaks.
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.