Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.

1999 mercury cougar: 2.5 v-6 with 120k..light came..stalled

Customer Question

I have a 1999 mercury cougar 2.5 v-6 with 120k on the motor it was running perfect stopped at a light the oil presure light came on then it stalled. started it back up and now the car has no oil presure . i checked the oil and it was up to proper level. I had it towed to my house , drained the oil changed the filter put a motorcraft filter on it and filled it with new oil and started it up still no oil preasure. I can hear the valves tappets starting to click so i shut it off . where should i go from here.
Category: Car
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 6 years ago.

In the past how ofter/frequently has the oil and filter been changed? Every 3000 miles? 5000 miles? Whenever you happen to get around to it/remember? Is there any knocking or abnormal noises coming from the motor?

Low oil pressure is usually one of a few things. Crankshaft bearings (which will usually make the engine knock), engine sludge, or the oil pump has failed. Determining the root cause of this condition usually means you're gonna have to start taking stuff apart. You can take off the valve cover and look inside for any signs of sludge. It looks almost like tar inside the motor, in the corners and galleys. IF it is up in the head, you know it will be down in the pan where the oil pump, pickup/etc are all located. It may be new engine time... You may want to take it somewhere (I would recommend the dealer) and have a proper diagnosis of the problem, as this one can get very messy and very deep fast! If you're not ready to start taking your motor apart, then I'd have it towed to someone who is. Good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This anwser looks like it was taken from a basic repair manual . what you have told me is all just common sense . I was looking for a expert anwser from a ford or merc mechanic that works on these every day. And is aware of common problems with the oil system of this motor . I am sure there are alot of people out there that are not very knowlegable with automotive issues and that is why you anwsered in that manor. But i am a 32 yr mech myself and was looking for an expert anwser a lot more in detail about specific testing and proceedure.
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 6 years ago.
I'm a Toyota tech myself, and we really have no information about your experience, knowledge, or technical aptitude other than what you tell us, and don't typically tend to go into great technical detail unless it's really necessary. Had you stated this to begin with that you are a 32 year mechanic, and are looking for an expert ford/merc tech to go into this kind of detail I would have never answered and let it be. I'll open this question back up, and let one of those guys take over as they are a lot more familiar with this engine than I. Good luck!
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer Welcome to justanswer!

First thing you should do is remove the oil pan and inspect the pick up tube. It may be clogged with sludge. Hopefully thats the case as the pan is not hard to get off. To get the pan off you need to remove the Y-Pipe then the pan just unbolts. If the pickup is good and no sludge, it could get complicated as the oil pump is behind the timing chains. I have one of these engines myself and know it very well. I'm betting its the tube being clogged.