Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Freelander..the plastic intake manifold need..cooling system

How do I replace the Thermostat in a 2003 Land Rover Freelander 2.5, Does the plastic intake manifold need to be removed and is cooling system bleeding a must if so how?
Bleeding the system is not necessary. I did this job at the shop a while back and I used this exact procedure:

Service Repair No - 26.45.01

1. Disconnect battery earth lead.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Remove inlet manifold chamber.

1. Remove 2 bolts securing injector protection cover and RH fuel rail to inlet manifold, position cover aside.
  2. Release 2 clips securing engine harness to rear engine lifting bracket and bracket on RH inlet manifold.

1. Release clip and disconnect bottom hose from thermostat housing.
  2. Loosen clip and disconnect heater hose from thermostat housing.
  3. Release clip and disconnect top hose from coolant elbow.
  4. Remove bolt securing thermostat housing and coolant elbow to cylinder block.
  5. Remove coolant elbow from cylinder block.
  6. Remove thermostat housing and coolant pipe from cylinder block.
  7. Release clip and remove coolant pipe from thermostat housing.
  8. Remove and discard 4 '0' rings from thermostat housing, coolant elbow and coolant pipe.

1. Lubricate new 'O' rings with rubber grease and fit to sealing grooves in thermostat housing, coolant elbow and coolant pipe.
  2. Fit coolant pipe into thermostat housing, ensure clip connectors are uppermost.
  3. Position thermostat housing and coolant pipe above cylinder block, engage coolant pipe in cylinder block and press thermostat housing firmly into position. Ensure mounting flange on thermostat housing is aligned to bolt hole in cylinder block.
  4. Fit coolant elbow into cylinder block, press firmly into place. Ensure mounting flange is aligned correctly to thermostat housing flange.
  5. Fit bolt to coolant elbow and thermostat housing flanges. Tighten bolt to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Connect top hose to coolant elbow and secure with clip.
  7. Connect heater and bottom hoses to thermostat housing, secure with clips.
  8. Position and secure engine harness to brackets with clips.
  9. Position injector protection cover to RH fuel rail, fit and tighten bolts to 9 Nm (7 ft. lbs.) .
  10. Fit inlet manifold chamber.
  11. Fill cooling system.
  12. Connect battery earth lead.

Edited by Alex M on 7/13/2010 at 4:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am unable to view pictures. I have sent this e-mail to a PC from my MAC and will try to open in the morning.( The highlighted links do not work either). I should be able to accept then if I can view.
You did not mention how to purge air from system to complete procedure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am still unable to open illustrations. These will be needed to do procedure. Can you send them in another format or suggest suggest a format to open. I have many players installed and none will work? The ALLData site that this information came from requires a password XXXXX access links. Perhaps that's why I cannot open Pics?

Please advise

I apologize for the delay. These are the 2 pictures All Data provided in the order they would be in my original reply. I hope this helps!