Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
9949505

2006 Silverado 5.3L, bad EVAP soleniod, where is it located

2006 Silverado 5.3L, bad EVAP soleniod, where is it located? how much can i expect to pay? can i do it myself? can i drive the truck for a week until i can afford to have it fixed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Are you getting a p0449?
This is just an emission error you shouldn't notice any drivability issues.
You can drive it for a week and if you want to fix it yourself.
graphic

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID VALVE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the engine sight shield.
  2. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) line from the canister purge solenoid, perform the following:
  1. Push the large size white retainer portion in.
  2. Push down, while pulling up slightly in order the disengage the tube.

1. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge solenoid electrical connector (1).

1. Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid bolt (2).
  2. Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid (3) and insulator (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the insulator (1) onto the EVAP canister purge solenoid (3).
  2. Install the EVAP canister purge solenoid (3). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Install the EVAP canister purge solenoid bolt (2). Tighten the bolt to 10.5 N.m (93 lb in) .

1. Connect the EVAP canister purge solenoid electrical connector (1).

1. Install the EVAP line to the canister purge solenoid (1).
  2. Install the engine sight shield.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they told me the solenoid was located on the tank are we speaking of the same thing?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, near the fuel tank is right. here is the picgraphic

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) CANISTER VENT SOLENOID VALVE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Clean the evaporative emission (EVAP) connections and surrounding areas prior to disconnecting the fittings in order to avoid possible system contamination.

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the harness clip from the canister vent solenoid (CVS) line.
  3. Disconnect the CVS electrical connector.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 6 ft box, disconnect the EVAP CVS line from the canister.
  2. Remove the CVS clip from the frame crossmember.
  3. Push in the retainer and remove the CVS from the fuel tank clip.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 8 ft box, disconnect the EVAP CVS line from the canister.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 5 ft 8 in box, disconnect the EVAP CVS electrical connector.
  2. Disconnect the EVAP CVS line (3) from the canister.
  3. Remove the CVS clip (2) from the frame.
  4. Remove the CVS bracket bolt (1), if required otherwise push in the retainer and remove the CVS from the bracket.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 5 ft 8 in box, install the CVS bracket bolt (1) if required, otherwise install the CVS to the bracket until the clip engages. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten the bolt to 12 N.m (106 lb in) .
  2. Connect the EVAP CVS line (3) to the canister.
  3. Install the CVS clip (2) to the frame.
  4. Connect the EVAP CVS electrical connector.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 8 ft box, install the CVS to the fuel tank until the clip engages. IMPORTANT: On vehicles equipped with a 8 ft box, the CVS line is routed below the frame crossmember.
  2. Install the CVS clip to the frame crossmember.
  3. Connect the EVAP CVS line to the canister.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a 6 ft box, install the CVS to the fuel tank until the clip engages. IMPORTANT: On vehicles equipped with a 6 ft box, the CVS line is routed above the frame crossmember.

1. Connect the CVS electrical connector.
  2. Install the harness clip to the canister vent solenoid (CVS) line.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

3. Lower the vehicle.

Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone