Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue: stalls..I took it to a garage where I..keys

The ignition on my 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue stalls occasionally. I took it to a garage where I was told that i would need to replace the ignition keys. The parts were ordered. But now. the mechanic is tellinh=g me that he would have to bring someone over at an extra cost of $150 to reprom the code, otherwise the cars computerized system will not identify the new keys. Is there ant truth to this?
would not start
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 6 years ago.

Hi,how are you?Yes this is correct the system has to be reprogrammed after the ignition lock cylinder is replaced.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: You must perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure after replacement of the ignition switch lock cylinder.

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Replacement: Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the radio control.
  3. Insert the key and turn the ignition switch lock cylinder to the ON position.
  4. Using a small flat-bladed tool, depress and hold the lock cylinder retaining tab.
  5. Using the key as an aid, pull to remove the ignition switch lock cylinder from the switch.
  6. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
  7. Carefully pull to release the ignition switch bezel from the ignition switch lock cylinder.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

graphic

1. Recode the lock cylinder, if necessary.
  2. Align the ignition switch bezel to the tabs on the ignition switch lock cylinder and carefully press to secure in place.
  4. Align the ignition switch lock cylinder to the ignition switch, then press into place.
  5. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
  6. Install the radio control.
  7. Connect negative battery cable.
  8. Perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure, if the ignition switch lock cylinder was replaced.