Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

that is blowing only hot air out of the passenger side vent

Customer Question

We have an 2004 H2 hummer that is blowing only hot air out of the passenger side vent, what do we need to replace?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, most likely the actuator that controls the blend door on that side has stripped its gear or quit working. You can get to it by removing the under dash panel and its mounted on the HVAC case. Its a small plastic electric motor that controls the air temp. It has been known to be a fairly common failure item. The pic below may time out and I will not be back online till later in day. I can resend then ( eastern time US)

1. Remove the I/P insulator panel.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  3. Remove the screws from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  4. Remove the left air temperature actuator (2) from the HVAC module assembly (

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We removed the actuator, manually turned the control stem that connects into actuator and still very hot air comes out of the passenger vents. Wouldn't this confirm the actuator failure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there two actuator's, someone is leading us to believe so? We removed the one we found on the left side of the console.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry I made a mistake. Was thinking backwards. Drivers side is the one you pulled which is failry easy, the other side you have to remove the entire dash to get to. 6.5 hours book time. Sorry for the error

AIR TEMPERATURE ACTUATOR REPLACEMENT - RIGHT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the I/P carrier.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector (4) from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  3. Remove the screws from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  4. Remove the right air temperature actuator (3) from the HVAC module assembly (2).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the right air temperature actuator (3) to the HVAC module assembly (2). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the screws to the right air temperature actuator (3). Tighten Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the right air temperature actuator.
  4. Install the I/P carrier.
  5. Reprogram the air temperature Actuator. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK! We already have the center console and the dash area taken apart for stereo repairs, so I guess we are partially there. Looking at the Removal Procedure, I can't quite understand where this I/P carrier is. Am I going to be looking behind where the stereo is sitting, to the left of it or the right of it?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
No,, I/P is the entire dash. many steps involved to get to the HVAC case and actuator

NSTRUMENT PANEL (I/P) CARRIER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the passenger insulator.
  3. Disconnect the brake release lever from the instrument panel (I/P).
  4. Remove the diagnostic connection from bottom of I/P, drivers side.

1. Remove the I/P center console.

1. Remove the I/P center trim panel.

1. Remove the left and right I/P side trim.

1. Remove the assist handle.

1. Remove the I/P compartment.

1. Remove the drivers knee bolster.

1. Remove the left accessory trim plate.

1. Remove the right accessory trim panel.

1. Remove the I/P air bag module.
  2. Remove the steering column.

1. Remove the I/P cluster.

1. Remove the I/P upper trim pad.

1. Remove both windshield garnish moldings.

1. Remove the radio from center stack.

1. Remove the HVAC control.

1. Remove the Onstar(R) module from center stack.

1. Remove the traction control air ride switch module assembly.

1. Remove the transfer case control switch module.

1. Remove the rear wiper switch.

1. Remove headlamp switch.
  2. Remove the upper HVAC air temperature sensors from the HVAC ducts.
  3. Remove the lower HVAC air temperature sensors from the HVAC ducts.

1. Remove the nut from the I/P carrier center support.
  2. Remove the upper I/P carrier bolts.
  3. Remove the drivers and passenger side I/P carrier bolts.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connections from the body control module (BCM) to the body harness.
  5. Remove the wiring harnesses through the openings in the I/P retainer.
  6. Remove the I/P assembly from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Make sure the ambient light sensor is routed to the top of the I/P.

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of the Images are showing.  They were visable last night on my mobile device, but I couldn't review everything then.