PAVLIN
PAVLIN, Technician
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON TRUCKS AND CARS/EMISSION INSPECTOR LICENCE
41577536

Mazda: 000 miles..highway..engine disconnected from tranny

I have a Mazda3 with a 2.3L and 4sp Auto...77,000 miles. Change fluid regularly. Driving on highway tonite...and at 75mph...felt like engine disconnected from tranny. Engine revved way up...so I let off the gas...and it felt like it reconnected briefly and then slipped out of gear again. I jammed the throttle down, and it quickly downshifted...but when i let off gas...it upshifted again and began to feel like it was slipping...

I made it to an exit. I checked fluid. Full. Red. Not burned in smell. I disconnected battery to see if i could reset the computer. Shifted fine. Got back on highway...and it didn't feel like it disconnected again...but it did do a little slipping...or at least it felt like it. I got off highway to get home...and it shifted fine the rest of the time.

Is it maybe the torque converter? Brain box? Pinched line? Transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  PAVLIN replied 4 years ago.
Hi, hook up to a scanner and retrieve codes, let me know what you have in the ECM/TCM memory.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry...isn't that something I need to make an appt and take to the dealer for? If i do that...I'm not needing to investigate this online first.

From what I understand...if no check-engine light came on...it won't even have any 'codes' stored anyway...correct?

I know it is a stab in the dark...but any thoughts if this might be something electronic (transmission control module) or mechanical (torque converter/trans)? It shifted just fine in stop/go traffic on way home. No slipping when starting off...etc.

Expert:  PAVLIN replied 4 years ago.

Hi, there are hard codes and soft codes. Soft codes will not turn on light.

I have heard that Auto-zone will scan the vehicle for you at no charge.

When you have tranny slipping the reasons for this can be:-

1 low fluid

2 restriction in oil filter

3 sticking valves in the valve body

4 bad solenoid performance

5 wiring problem

6 transmission control systems

if you have any codes in the system that will point you the direction of troubleshooting.

If no codes, then at least oil pan has to be removed and inspected for and indication of wear, in the clutches or drums.

If it has started to slip it will not stop, eventually will start doing it more often.

PAVLIN, Technician
Experience: 17 YEARS HANDS ON TRUCKS AND CARS/EMISSION INSPECTOR LICENCE