jagmaster
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified
19947836

My 99 disco 1 tdi has problems..driven..ticking..starter motor

Customer Question

My 99 disco 1 tdi has problems starting every now and then, usally after i have just driven some where turned off the car then returned to start it. The engine dose not turn over at all and there is no ticking from the starter motor so i dont think its that, the battery is brand new and is fully charged, i have a feeling its eather in the ignition or the immobiliser? can you help me?

Category: Car
Expert:  jagmaster replied 6 years ago.
You need to do a starter draw test, and also verify that the starter is getting a start signal. The small wire on the solenoid should get power when the key is turned. Just to verify you have series 1 300tdi, not a series 2 td5.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah its the series 1 300tdi, just before the change over to the series 2. whats the best way of doing this test?
Expert:  jagmaster replied 6 years ago.
Put a multimeter on the small wire to the starter, and the other lead to the battery negative. Have someone crank it, and see if you have power there. I have seen many ignition switches cause your problem exactly. If you don't have power there, I would start with the ignition switch.