Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo V6 - 3.5L vin Y 3494cc type 6VE1

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo V6 - 3.5L vin Y 3494cc type 6VE1 - MFI GAS DOHC.
Car died right after 100000 warranty expired! 100029! Timing belt replaced, Denso Spark Plugs Replaced, Crankshaft Position Sensor replaced, still nothing.
Car turns on, but won't start all the way. Will not turn over. Looks like a delay in the spark. Please help!
Oh and the fuel pump was replaced at 68000 miles due to the recalled pump.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, we already tried the starter fluid test yesterday. It's almost like the engine is not getting enough spark. I am about to go tell my husband to come read your answer now, so I know how to accept. I am new to this website and we can't find a repair book for the 2004 Rodeo.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

You can accept my answer now and we can still continue our conversation after you accept one of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I accepted. The money disappeared, did I do that right? Do I have to pay again to ask another question? Kind of lost here.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

NO... I did get the accept. THank you very much!

I Will be here if you have any further questions. You can always ask me another question for free. Just repost to this thread and I will get it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I ask you my question tomorrow. My husband and his friend said they will test the fuel tomorrow when they can get the tester from AutoZone in the morning. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Sure.. you bet!

I will be on line all day tomorrow!

I will be waiting for your reply!