CTCARTECH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Factory Trained, Kia Factory Trained, ASE Certified

2007 Mazda 3: automatic..000 miles)..intermittent problme..Reverse

I have 2007 Mazda 3 hatchback automatic (30,000 miles). Recently I have had an intermittent problme; I start the car with my foot on the brake and I am unable to shift from Park. Sometimes if I take my foot off the brake and reapply it I can then shift into Reverse or the gear I want. Other times I have shut the car off, restarted it (again with my foot on the brake) and it works fine. I brought it to the dealer's shop, tey checked it periodically through the day and it never happened with them. Can you give me some guidance please?
Category: Car
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

It sounds like to me if you have to apply then re-apply the brake pedal, The Brake on/off switch on the brake pedal is faulty. It is not uncommon for one to go bad. I would say this would be your problem.