Mark N
Mark N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Saab Master Technician, GM Technician, 30 years experience.
22700663

2004 Saab 93: shift..I do to repair it?

Customer Question

my 2004 Saab 93 will not shift. what is wrong with it? what do I do to repair it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark N replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome!

Is this an automatic gearbox or a manual?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its an automatic
Expert:  Mark N replied 6 years ago.
OK, there are many different reasons for not shifting. Here's a few of the most common problems:

Low fluid level. The dipstick on these gearboxes is underneath, and a real pain to get to. Start with making sure the fluid is topped up.

Have the car scanned for trouble codes in the TCM (Transmission Control Module). This will tell you if there's an electrical problem, such as a bad solenoid.

Input and output shaft speed sensors. These are externally mounted, fairly easy to replace, and sometimes give problems with erratic readings.

But...Bad sensors can be the result of:

Coolant contamination. If this is the case, (coolant getting into the transmission oil, probably from the cooler) you're looking at a new transmission. And radiator, since the trans cooler is an integral part of the radiator.

So check the simple stuff first, and if it seems like it's more than that, have a Saab shop diagnose it and get a definitive answer.

If you need more info, please feel free to write back. Thanks for checking in with us!