Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

1997 eagle talon no start situation..pouring..engine turns

1997 eagle talon no start situation... low coolant and pouring out of the front of the motor... engine turns over but no fire... is there a low coolant cut off switch...?
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

When you say 'no fire' do you mean that the engine will not start, or do you specifically mean there is no signal to the spark plugs?

Also, which engine do you have (Turbo or non-Turbo?)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
non turbo car 2.0L.... no spark out of the ignition coil at the end of the spark plug...
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

How does the engine sound when cranking? Is it normal sounding, rattly, fast-cranking... anything unusual?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sounds perfect...
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a way to check for codes in the system?

Also, the "coolant...pouring out the front of the motor" is this actually the front of the motor it is coming out or the front of the car (ie, behind the tire or below the bumper) and did this occur at exactly the same time as the no-start condition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a DTC code reader... there isn't any codes as of now... the leak is from the front of the motor... passenger side behind the tire... haven't took the tire off yet to look if it's a water pump or just a hose... the customer complained that it leaked then died and wouldn't start...
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks.

I'm having a hard time finding a connection between the two based on the info you gave, so for now I'd chalk it up to two different issues.

Take the wheel off and get a good view in there and confirm the waterpump is leaking, as it likely is. Ideally, pull the top timing belt cover off and check belt timing and belt condition.

Check your wiring to the crank sensor. It is located directly above the oil filter; You should have ~8-10V with the key on at the yellow wire and negative ground on the black/green wire, both with ignition turned on.

Check those out and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i know its seems real goofy... the only thing i can think of is maybe the water pump let go and leak all over a crank sensor... or if there is a low coolant shut off...i'm trying to get a schematic today... i won't be able to look at it until Monday... thanks for your help...
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.
No problem.

The crank sensor on this vehicle is actually located fairly far from the water pump, so that shouldn't be an issue (it isn't one of the engines with the crank behind the t-belt, it is actually back by the crank sensor and up a little higher.

If the water pump failed catastrophically it could result in a belt failure, but as you said it sounds normal cranking... definitely check the belt just to be sure though.

The only relation I can see with the leak and the no start would be an external headgasket leak... which not only pretty rare, it would not explain the no-spark condition.

There shouldn't be any sort of coolant cut off on this vehicle... I drive them to the body shop with no radiator regularly :)

Get the crank sensor checked out, and if it looks good check the third wire with an oscilloscope and make sure you have a good square wave. Check the timing belt installation and of course verify where exactly the water leak is coming from so we can better determine if they are related or not, if the crank sensor comes up OK.

Let me know what specific schematics you need and I will see what I can do for you so you are prepared come Monday.

Edited by Doug C on 7/2/2010 at 2:01 PM EST