#1 Diagnosis
#1 Diagnosis, Auto Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  15 yrs hands on Experience, Specialize in electrical, computer, A/C diagnosis Shop Owner/Technician
40637427

neon: my 1998..new battery..alternator..everything runs fine, ac

my 1998 plymouth neon 4 cylinder starts real slow like it does not want to start. put in new battery and the alternator is charging at 13.6. once the car is running everything runs fine, ac,lights etc.
Category: Car
Expert:  #1 Diagnosis replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for using Just answer. Just a question to help with the diagnosis: Is the vehicle cranking slow before it fires, or does it fire right away, and sputter as you are cranking then finally fire up?

Thanks Adam

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cranks slow before it fires then it starts normally. after driving for a while it cranks even sower

Hello Again. Thanks for the clarification. Assuming that your battery is new and charged up., there a couple of things that must be done BEFORE buying any parts. First, do not underestimate the problems that a bad connection or even loose connection can play in this issue. Completely verify that the cables are clean and completely firm on the battery end of the cable abd the starter end, verifying that there is no corosion on the cables. If this is good next check cables for swelling of the plastic coating or breakage. When the car warms up so does all the metal parts which break down connections causing harder starts when warm or hot. This brings me to the last option- the starter. The rule of heat with the starter equally applies. It too will will give you more problems as things get hot if its internal wiring is breaking down. How do you test the starter? The only correct way is to do a amp draw test. This is done at most major auto stores for free. Drive your car there and have them test for excessive amp draw from the starter. If I was a betting man-and I am not, and from my experience i would lean heavily that your starter is going bad and needs replaced. But please verify your connections first! Not just at the battery but also at the starter and where the battery grounds to on the block. This may save you some money and time!

IF YOU NEED MORE HELP PLEASE REPLY.
IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION PLEASE HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON SO I CAN GET CREDIT FOR MY TIME.

Edited by #1 Diagnosis on 7/2/2010 at 4:11 AM EST