Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

#1 position correct on my distributor..clear when I hooked..backfired

Eric, How would I make sure I have the #1 position correct on my distributor or find out where the #1 fire position is. It is clear when I hooked up the wires from our first discussion, it backfired etc.. So I am not clear if position #1 is where you had indicated. Also note the Rotor, rotates Counter Clockwise as you look at it from the view on top of the rotor, it was shown as clockwise in the diagram.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Easiest way since its not marked is to remove the #1 spark plug, if no one to help stick a wad of paper in the #1 spark plug hole, use a wrench to turn the crankshaft over by hand until the paper blows out hole. You now have engine a tdc center on #1 plug at compression stroke. Remove the distributor cap and see where rotor is pointing. that will be your #1 location on the distributor.

put wires in 1,3,4,2 counterclockwise since the rotor is turning counterclockwise

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any reason the Rotor is turning clockwise versus what the earlier diagram indicated? Just curious as to why the drastic difference.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

sometimes the book has it wrong on rotation, but the firing order of 1-3-4-2 is correct.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it, hooked them up but doesnt fire, just cranks. Cleaned the plugs, checked the wires, seem to be connected firm. Any chance I burnt out the coil that feeds the distributor? How would you check to make sure you are getting spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any thoughts on why it cranks now but doesn't turn over? I checked the plugs and they have spark. was wondering if I flooded it. I will accept your answer in one moment
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

does it sound like it is turning over smoothly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes smoth cranking, just never starts. I checked the spark. pulled a wire of, stuck a plug in I and cranked for second, it sparked. took out plugs and cleaned them, they had a little gas on them. when I was lining up the rotor to position one I cranked quickly a few times to move the crank around. plug wires were disconnected, not sure if that floods them with gas.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It can flood them with gas. give it about 30 minutes to sit, and then crank with foot off the accelerator

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager