Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Have a 1996 SAAB 900s 2.3L , installed new Spark plugs and

Have a 1996 SAAB 900s 2.3L , installed new Spark plugs and wires and new distributor cap and rotor. Runs horrible. Wondering if it I wired it correctly when I installed the new wires and cap but lost paper I wrote it on. Or maybe it is something else. Was doing a general tuneup and replacing wires/plugs.

If engine was running ok before tune-up, then most likely the firing order is wrong. Here is correct firing order diagram:

1996 Saab 900 S Coupe
2.3 liter DOHC L4

If ok, then let me know and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Im not sure the figure is clear to determine where the wire for Plug 4 goes into the distributor. Do you have a more realistic figure of the wiring?

Sorry, only diagram available.

Look on the distributor cap. The tower for the #1 plug wire should be marked with a 1. Now, in clockwise direction you will install the #1 wire there, then the #3 wire, then #4 wire, then the #2 wire.

Now the #1 cylinder is one closest to the passenger side fender. Install the #1 wire there, then #2 wire to cylinder next to it, then #3 wire, then #4 wire last.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no mark, here is a simple drawing, Is this correctgraphic

That is correct

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I reversed two of them...i guess that explained the backfire! Thanks for your patience and help.