cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year as shop owner and ase master tech also certified body tech

Parking brake adjustment - H2 - 2005

Parking brake adjustment - H2 - 2005
Category: Car
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
Parking Brake Adjustment

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in the Preface section.

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment

Tools Required

J 21177-A Drum-to-Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge

Important: The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.

Object Number: 177200  Size: SH

1. Set the J 21177-A so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor (1).
    Object Number: 177201  Size: SH

2. Position the J 21177-A over the shoe (1) and the lining at the widest point.
  3. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the J 21177-A .
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
  5. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

Park Brake Pedal Adjustment

Important: Before you adjust the park brake, verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.6604 mm (0.026 in).

1. Verify that the automatic adjuster lock-out pin has been removed.
  2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your help. My question is - How far down should you have to press the pedal down to engage the barake - the dealership is telling me to push it all the way down to the floor. I have never seen a parking brake go all the way to the floor unless it doesn't work. Please advise me on this - it used to go down only half way or three qqurters before replacement.

Matt Ballister

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

(XXX) XXX-XXXX -cell

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
if the truck doesnt move when the brakes abblied its fine but if you want it higher just adjust it a litte higher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate your efforts but the question I asked is pretty clear and simple - is the parking brake supposed to go all the way down? Halfway down? Or three quarters down?

This is of course with the car stopped and in neutral or park.

Thank you,

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
it should not go all the way down half would be acceptable there is a auto adjust in the pedal they may have turned it of when they worked on it
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 year as shop owner and ase master tech also certified body tech