SUPRYZE
SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician
6758627

2000 GMC: putting in new door hinge pins.

I am working on a 2000 GMC Jimmy. I am putting in new door hinge pins. My question is, how do you get the door spring out and back in?
Category: Car
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer! There is actually a special tool to do this, and its very inexpensive. I have tried once to do it without the tool using long screwdrivers to try and pry it back in and I almost seriously injured myself, because that spring is very powerful so I would never do it again without the tool!

They are all over the Internet, including ebay, here is one example:

http://www.bizrate.com/automotive-repair-tools/gm-door-spring-tool-light-truck--pid1115406087/

Many parts stores like NAPA and Auto Zone sell this as well. You may want to print out a picture and take it with you, to help ID the tool.

You simply open it as far as the door space will allow, insert it into the spring and use a wrench to close the tool, which compresses the spring. Then you can safely slide the spring out and when done, slide it back in and release the tool.