Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1998 Mazda 626: It overheated yesterday and I..overheats

My daughter has a 1998 Mazda 626. It overheated yesterday and I have changed the thermostat out and it still overheats. I am not a mechanic, but am unemployed so trying to get by. Any suggestions on where to start first.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

first,lets make sure there is no air in the cooling system...remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold...start the engine and let it idle...keep coolant on hand and add when needed..some coolant may gush out with air when doing this so be careful....keep doing this until engine is at operating tempeture and the coolant evens out and quits gushing..then ,install the cap...let it sit and idle to see if the radiator fan comes on..if the engine got really hot,it is possible that it blew a head gasket or even cracked a head

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried that and it went good except there are two radiator fans and one of them did not come on. While it was idling temp stayed good. I drove it about 1/4 mile down the road and the temp started rising fast. Within five minutes in garage it is idling at normal temp.

sorry to say...but.it sounds as if the head gasket may be blown

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How big a job is replacing a blown head gasket?

well..it is a fairy big job....what is your engine size and i will try to send you step by step directions

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine is a 4 cylinder.

ok

this may help

thanks

2.0L Engines

See Figures 8 through 19

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the splash shield, fresh air duct and air cleaner assembly.

FIG : Fig. 8: Exploded view of the cylinder head assembly for the 2.0L engine

image

the 2.0L engine

1. Disconnect the accelerator cable.
  2. Disconnect the following hoses: heater, brake vacuum, purge, fuel, water and upper radiator.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belts. Remove the power steering pump bolts and secure the pump aside with mechanics wire, leaving the hoses attached.
  4. Remove the alternator bracket nut and bolt and position the bracket aside. Detach the exhaust pipe from the manifold.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: To remove the cylinder head, first drain the coolant, then remove the air intake ducting, valve cover, distributor and radiator hose

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Also disconnect the water bypass hose ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: ... as well as the engine wire harness, fuel lines (arrows) and heater hoses

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: If necessary, unbolt the EGR pipe securing bracket from the engine block

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Remove the timing belt and camshafts from the cylinder head

1. Label and disconnect the spark plug wires. Remove the power steering hose brackets from the cylinder head cover.
  2. Label and detach the distributor/coil connectors, engine coolant temperature sensor connector, cooling fan coolant temperature sensor connector and temperature gauge sensor connector.
  3. Disconnect the hoses from the cylinder head cover and loosen the cover bolts in 5-6 steps, in the reverse order of the tightening sequence. Remove the cylinder head cover.
  4. Remove the timing belt cover and the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: Loosen the cylinder head bolts evenly in 2-3 steps following the sequence

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 15: Once all of the cylinder head bolts are loosened remove them along with their washers

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 16: With the help of an assistant, lift the cylinder head off of the engine, complete with intake and exhaust manifolds

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 17: Remove the old cylinder head gasket ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 18: ... and, after stuffing rags in the cylinder bores, thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces

1. Remove the coolant temperature sensor housing from the cylinder head. Remove the distributor.
  2. Remove the camshaft sprockets and the camshaft.
  3. Remove the hydraulic lifters. Identify each lifter as it is removed so it can be reinstalled in the same position. If the lifters are to be reused, store them upside down in an oil-filled sealed container.
  4. Loosen the cylinder head bolts, in 2-3 steps, in sequence. Remove the bolts and the cylinder head.
  5. Clean all gasket mating surfaces. Inspect the cylinder head for damage, cracks, and water and oil leakage. Check the head gasket surface for distortion using a straight-edge and feeler gauge. Maximum allowable distortion is 0.004 inch (0.10mm).

To install:

1. Position a new cylinder head gasket on the cylinder block, and install the cylinder head.
  2. Apply clean engine oil to the bolt threads and seating faces. Install new cylinder head bolts and tighten in 2-3 steps, in sequence, to 13-16 ft. lbs. (17-22 Nm).
  3. Paint a mark on the edge of each cylinder head bolt to use as a reference. Turn each bolt, in sequence, 90 degrees. Again, turn each bolt, in sequence, an additional 90 degrees.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 19: When installing the head, tighten the head bolts in sequence to the proper specifications

1. Apply clean engine oil to the hydraulic lifters and install them in their original positions. Make sure they move freely in the bores.
  2. Install the camshafts and sprockets. Install the distributor and connect the distributor/coil connectors.
  3. Install the timing belt and cover.
  4. Install a new cylinder head cover gasket on the cylinder head cover. Apply sealant to the cylinder head surface in the area adjacent to the front camshaft caps, then install the cover. Tighten the bolts in 5-6 steps, in sequence, to 61-95 inch lbs. (7-11 Nm).
  5. Connect the hoses to the cylinder head cover. Connect the spark plug wires.
  6. Install the exhaust manifold and the alternator bracket. Tighten the bracket nut and bolt to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  7. Install the alternator belt and adjust the tension.
  8. Loosely install the power steering pump through and lockbolts. Connect the pump pressure switch connector.
  9. Install the power steering pump belt and adjust the tension. Tighten the pump through-bolt to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm) and the lockbolt to 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm).
  10. Install the power steering pump belt shield and tighten the bolts to 86 inch lbs. (9 Nm). Install the power steering hose brackets to the cylinder head cover, and tighten the bolts to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  11. Install the coolant temperature sensor housing with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Connect the electrical connectors at the housing.
  12. Connect and adjust the accelerator cable.
  13. Connect the heater, brake vacuum, purge, fuel, water and upper radiator hoses.
  14. Install the air cleaner assembly, fresh air duct and splash shield.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable. Fill and bleed the cooling system. Run the engine and check for proper operation.