Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Ford escort lx: 1.9l..car heated up too the point..keep running..idle

Customer Question

ford escort lx--1.9l -tfi--car heated up too the point,it did not want to keep running. fix that problem,now it won!t idle.what happen.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

WIll it stay running if you give it some gas with the pedal?

Customer:

yes if its above 2000 rpm,

Ron :

I would start with making sure there are no vacuum leaks and I would also try removing the IAC (idle air control ) valve and try cleaning it real well along with the throttle body. The IAC is mounted to the throttle body and is held on with 2 8mm bolts.

Customer:

what has the iac got to do with over heating.thats when the problem started.

Ron :

It has nothing to do with the overheating but are know to become dirty and gummed up. What was the source of the overheating and how hot did you get it?

Customer:

i have to leave for a while,be back later..

Ron :

Ok,

Customer:

i sent two more e-mails-about this heating problem,

Ron :

Have not recived any emails, we are only allowed to speak here on the question. I have heard from you since 7/1

Customer:

last chat we had,you ask how hot it got.it boiled..the termostat stuck,it has been replaced..but it still dos`nt want to run or idle..

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Have you ran a compression test on it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it was 155#on#1 down to 120#at#4.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Ok so it does run? But is just stalling?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it runs above 2000 to 4000 rpm for a while then ,if i take foot off gas it goes down to 1000rpm,and then down to a stop. it just wont idle..
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Have you tried cleaning the IAC as I stated in my first answer last week? Look in the above thread.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
clean them both...the over heating did something to it.it ran like a kitten before..
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If you can keep it running with extter throttle and you are sure you have no vacuum leaks on the engine , then you may need to replace the IAC.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im not sure about vacuum leaks we have not found any,any place we should look.and how would the engine run with aleak.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It would idle rough and want to stall. Look in and arounf the intake manifold area.