Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

according: red rear lights..trailer..short circuit..fuse somewhere

Customer Question

Situation: On a LR discovery Series 2, I have all the left position lights (orange front, orange side and the red rear lights) not working after attaching a trailer which had a short circuit on the left light circuit. The general fuse for this lights (left and right have only 1 common fuse according to what I found out from studying the fuse descriptions) is ok as the right lights are still working.

Question: Is there an additional fuse somewhere in the car which separates the right from the left position light circuit and if yes, where? If not, what wire do I have to replace in order to get this working again?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Is there a bare wire grounding out in the trailer harness was this checked?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I don't understand your question properly as my english knowledge is limited.

So far, all what I can see is that the cabling to the trailer harness connector on the car's side looks intact.

I mean, that even when no trailor is connected, the left position lights are still off (like a fuse or a wire has been blown when that (rented) trailor which had a short circuit on the left light circuit has destroyed a circuit on the car's side.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok under the car the harness is not damaged?Are the fuses all ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Regarding the fuses: I only know about the fuses in the engine compartment. I have checked them; they are all ok.

Question: Is there an additional fuse compartment somewhere else in the car which I should check?

Regarding the harness: I have checked it around the plug on the car side: Seems all ok.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Yes it would be the tail light fuse . Are the tailights working ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

as I stated in the initial error description, the left tail light, the small position light on the left fender as well as the left position light built-in into the headlight do not work. So there are not the complete tail lights off, only all left tail lights.

But for example all (left and right) tail stop lights do work properly as do the turn lights and the reverse lights.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok there's a broken wire somewhere in the harness has that been checked?