Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2002 maserati and on the indicator it shows it is in N..seams

Customer Question

Mr friend has a 2002 maserati and on the indicator it shows it is in N, but you cannot rock the car and it seams to be in gear. The car will not start. HELP???
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Does the shifter move at all? Any transmission work done recently ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No transmission work done lately. He claims that you cannot shift the transmission with the paddles without the car running? Doesn't make sense to me, but that is what he claims.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok automatic correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He claims it is a standard.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok if that's the issue then it's a problem with the clutch or hydraulics or both. When was the clutch replaced last . How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know. I doubt that the clutch has ever been replaced. Why would that stop it from starting?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok if it is a manual transmission the only item that would stop it from starting is the clutch safety switch above the clutch pedal. If it says it's in neutral I'm thinking it's an automatic and the transmission range switch is ba reading it's in the wrong gear. You sure it's a manual? Also try disconnecting the battery both terminals for 5 minutes reconnect and see if it resets.These are the next steps let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had him disconnect the battery, but that did not help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had him disconnect the battery, but that did not help. I do not think it has a clutch pedal. He claims that the clutch is electronic when the paddle is used. It has a seperate lever for Park, so I am not certain why it would not start if that is engaged so tyhe car is in park.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok then it's automatic . The most common issue is the transmission range switch or there's a fault sensor on The transmission itself.If the shifter does not move it can also be internal in the transmission. These need to be checked next.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, he claims it is a formula 1 transmission which are manual as far as I know. Any idea where they may be on this car?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok if thats the case he can not move the shifter at all correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK then unfortunately its an internal issue with the transmission or the shift linkage itself.If the shifter does not move these are the only issues that will cause this .This needs to be checked next .Hopefully its a linkage issue not internal .These need to be checked next.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer was not even in the right ball park.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No problem what was it an electrical issue?