Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Venture: what is needed and whats need to be done to do the job

Customer Question

I have a question about painting a truck. This is my second venture on painting so I am really new to all this. However, I understand what is needed and whats need to be done to do the job. I am having problems with priming the truck the primer spotted the first time so I though there was too much moisture in the air and it set in the paint. Next I re-sanded the truck and primed again. This time I was in an enclosed shot with the heater on to ensure all moisture was gone and temperature was correct to ensure correct drying. This time it spotted but not near as bad. Will wetsanding get rid of the spots without re doing it? If not what in the heck can I do to get it right? It wasnt this hard the first time I did it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

When you say spotted that is a pretty broad term. If the primer opened up almost in a circle that is what is called a fisheye in the industry. There is a additive that you put into the paint to make it lay down on the surface and not do this. It is called fish eye eliminator. It is generally pure silicone. Also if you post a photo on photo bucket so I can see it I can tell more about what is happening. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It just looks like the paint has not dried, like it is still wet. The primer I was using was made by rustoleum. It said it was ready to go as is. I recently went back and re did it this time with a higher room temp and it seemed to do better or a lot better then what it did the first time. If you were to stare at it straight up or in the light you can not tell a thing. Its just when you get either at the front or back and look down the whole side of the vehicle that you could tell. I also wet sanded it again and that helped more for getting the spots out. My honest question is if it doesn't "lay down" like you say, will it tamper w/ the rest of the painting process? Meaning will it mess with the color paint and clear coat? If so what would you recommend using and what to mix w/ it to keep it from spotting again.

When you wet sand it if you cant feel it you wont be able to see it, after you spray the color on. . When you paint cars you learn to see with your hands when it comes to surface prep. So like I said if you cant feel it you cant see it. Also don't put automotive paint over rustolium, it will make the primer peel up like you put paint remover on it. You will have to spray it with rustolium paint. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.