Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1990 Chevy Lumina APV: warms..stalls..line fuel filter..fuel pump

Customer Question

I own a 1990 Chevy Lumina APV with a 3.1 engine The vehicle runs fine until it warms up and then it stalls it starts right back up again but the minute you pull it in gear it stalls you have to let it sit for about 30 minutes and then it will start and be drivable until it warms up again and does the same thing i replaced the in line fuel filter and the fuel pump but it did no good and the vehicle does not overheat
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

this sounds as if you may have a bad crank sensor..these will do this when they first start going bad

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i bought the crankshaft sensor and took it to a mechanic they told me it doesn't have a crankshaft sensor so that can't be it
does your engine have a distributer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i forgot to tell you we already replaced the ignition module

this problem can be caused by the pick-up coil inside the may be easier and just as cheap to replace the complete distributer,sense the distributer will need to be removed and took apart to do this

Typical Distributor Components

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took it to a mechanic in town and it was the torch converter kill switch they unpluged it and it works fine not quite sure if thats what they call it but when he explained to me what it did thats what i called it thanks anyway

yes,this would be the tcc solenoid plug..this tells me the solenoid is bad or the converter itself is bad,,with this disconnected the lock-up wont work,but you will still have 4 gears

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it safe to run it like that disconnected i mean the mechanic said it would be ok but i'd like a second opinion

i have seen people do is ok to drive like this,,though it may use a little more fuel