Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Alignment of timing gears on 6.5 liter diesel

alignment of timing gears on 6.5 liter diesel
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1998 DIESEL TRUCK

i would think a chevy

please print

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

6.2L and 6.5L Diesel Engines

See Figures 6 and 7

1. Remove the front cover.
  2. If applicable, remove the bolt and washer attaching the camshaft gear and the injection pump gear.
  3. Crank the engine until the timing marks on both sprockets are nearest each other and in-line between the shaft centers

FIG : Fig. 6: Timing mark alignment-6.2L and 6.5L engines

image

FIG : Fig. 7: Timing chain installation-6.2L and 6.5L engines

image

1. Remove the camshaft sprocket, timing chain and crankshaft sprocket as a unit.

To install:

1. Install the camshaft sprocket, timing chain and crankshaft sprocket as a unit, aligning the timing marks on the sprockets as shown in the illustration. Tighten the camshaft gear bolt to 75 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) on 1988-95 models and 125 ft. Lbs. (171 Nm) on 1996-98 models.
  2. Install the front cover as previously detailed. The injection pump must be re-timed since the timing chain assembly was removed. See below for this procedure.

Fuel Injection Pump

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
  • INJECTION TIMING ADJUSTMENT

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Accelerator cable linkage

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Rotate the crankshaft so that the injection pump drive gear bolts become visible through the hole

FIG : Fig. 3: Injection pump mounting

image

1. Disconnect both batteries.
  2. If necessary, remove the fan and fan shroud.
  3. Remove the intake manifold.
  4. Remove the fuel injection lines.
  5. If applicable, disconnect the accelerator cable at the injection pump, and the detent cable (see illustration) where applicable.
  6. Disconnect the fuel inlet line from the pump.
  7. Tag and disconnect the necessary wires and hoses at the injection pump.
  8. Disconnect the fuel return line at the top of the injection pump.
  9. If necessary for access, remove the air conditioning hose retainer bracket if equipped with A/C.
  10. Remove the oil fill tube, including the crankcase depression valve vent hose assembly.
  11. Remove the grommet for the oil filler tube.
  12. Scribe or paint a matchmark on the front cover and on the injection pump flange.
  13. The crankshaft must be rotated in order to gain access to the injection pump drive gear bolts through the oil filler neck hole.
  14. Remove the injection pump-to-front cover attaching nuts. Remove the pump and cap all open lines and nozzles.

To install:

1. Replace the gasket.

Make sure the locating pin on the pump hub goes into the slotted hole on the driven gear and not the hole in the gear.

1. Align the locating pin on the pump hub with the slot in the injection pump driven gear. At the same time, align the timing marks.
  2. Attach the injection pump to the front cover, aligning the timing marks before tightening the nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
  3. Install the drive gear-to-injection pump bolts. Tighten the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  4. Install the grommet for the oil filler tube and the tube.
  5. Install and tighten the fuel feed line at the injection pump to 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  6. Attach the fuel return line and all harness connections.
  7. Install the injection lines and the intake manifold.
  8. Connect the negative battery cables.
  9. Check the injection timing.
  10. Start the engine and check for leaks.

INJECTION TIMING ADJUSTMENT

1988-94 Models

See Figures 4, 5 and 6

Special tool J-26987, or its equivalent, will be necessary for this procedure.

For the engine to be properly timed, the lines on the top of the injection pump adapter and the flange of the injection pump must be aligned.

1. The engine must be OFF for resetting the timing.

FIG : Fig. 4: Injection pump locating pin-1988-94 models

image

FIG : Fig. 5: Injection pump timing alignment marks-1988-94 models

image

FIG : Fig. 6: Slot in the injection pump-1988-94 models

image

1. Loosen the three pump retaining nuts with tool J-26987, an injection pump intake manifold wrench, or its equivalent.
  2. Align the mark on the injection pump with the marks on the adapter and tighten the nuts. Tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm). Use a 3 / 4 in. (19.05mm) open-end wrench on the boss at the front of the injection pump to aid in rotating the pump to align the marks.
  3. Adjust the throttle rod.

1995-98 Models

The use of a suitable scan tool is required to check or adjust the injection timing.

1. Start the engine and bring it to operating temperature.
  2. Attach the scan tool and activate the time set. (If the time set function is activated properly the diesel injection time on the scan tool will read 0.0 degrees.

The actual injection time on the scan tool will fluctuate. The average reading should be 3.5 degrees.

1. Read the actual injection time using the scan tool functions. The reading should be 3.5 degrees.

If the engine stalls during time set activation, slightly rotate the injection pump (1mm = 2degrres) towards the drivers side of the vehicle, tighten the flange nuts and repeat time set.

1. If the injection timing is correct, the adjustment is complete. If the timing is incorrect continue with the procedure.
  2. On 1997-98 models, move the A/C compressor to the side to improve access to the injection pump lower mounting bolts.
  3. With the engine OFF , loosen the pump flange nuts.
  4. Slightly rotate the injection pump in the desired direction (towards the drivers or passenger side of the vehicle) until the set injection time is 3.5 degrees.

It is normal for the actual injection time shown on the scan tool screen to fluctuate. Average fluctuation should be 3.5 degrees.

1. Tighten the pump bolts.
  2. If moved, install the A/C compressor and remove the scan tool.
  3. Road test the vehicle.
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.