Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

Car keeps overheating and blowing out coolant..overflow

car keeps overheating and blowing out coolant through overflow changed tstat fan is blowing pretty sure pump is working cause i can see it cycling
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Coolant overflowing through the bottle is a good indication of air getting into the system.
This would suggest a blown head gasket.
Make sure the system is properly bled. If so, go to the parts store and get a clear hose.
Bypass the heater core using the clear hose. Inspect the coolant as the vehicle warms up. If there are bubbles in the coolant, you probably have blown head gasket.
If coolant does not flow, you have a bad water pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i forgot to tell you that i brought the car to landrover and was told that head gaskets have been replaced and they pressure tested system then it overheated again a month later n i went to pep boys 4 another pressure test i know pepboys isnt the best but it was better than paying 125 to landrover again then i bled radiator from screw on top of hose and was fine for another month. it seems that the upper hoses and overflow get hot while the 1st big radiator and 3rd are not as hot but the little radiator in the middle is hot
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well if the radiator hose isn't getting hot that is a good indication that the radiator has a clog. A clog in the radiator can cause coolant blow back. Check for any "hot spots" in the radiator. A hot spot would verify a clog. Verify there are no hot spots, the best way to do this is by using a thermostat unfared gun (not as expensive as it sounds)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the hoses get hot aside from checking for clogs what is the process for bleeding properly
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
remove the pressure cap from the reservoir and let the engine warm up. If there is air in the system there will be bubbles in the coolant and the level should drop.. Fill as the coolant level drops.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone