Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

2000 mitsubishi galant: my powersteering belt keeps popping

Customer Question

my powersteering belt keeps popping off on my 2000 mitsubishi galant 2.4 i have just replaced the altinator and both belts
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

You need to look at the belt from the side and see if it is straight when it is installed. Any angle at all will make it come off. Also if the belt isn't tight enough it can come off. You don't want it tight like a guitar string, but it does have to be tight enough where it wont slip. The next thing to check is to look at each pulley the belt goes onto when the belt is off. Make sure the pulleys aren't bent, also make sure they don't wobble. These problems are the reasons that belts come off. Carefully go through all of these steps and you should be able to find out what your problem is. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.